Course 20762: Developing SQL 2016 Databases
Duration: 90-days online access
ILT Classroom: 5 days
Audience: IT Professionals
About this course
This course provides students with the knowledge and skills to develop a Microsoft SQL Server 2016 database. The course focuses on teaching individuals how to use SQL Server 2016 product features and tools related to developing a database.
The primary audience for this course is IT Professionals who want to become skilled on SQL Server 2016 product features and technologies for implementing a database.
The secondary audiences for this course are individuals who are developers from other product platforms looking to become skilled in the implementation of a SQL Server 2016 database.
At course completion
After completing this course, students will be able to:
- Design and Implement Tables.
- Describe advanced table designs
- Ensure Data Integrity through Constraints.
- Describe indexes, including Optimized and Columnstore indexes
- Design and Implement Views.
- Design and Implement Stored Procedures.
- Design and Implement User Defined Functions.
- Respond to data manipulation using triggers.
- Design and Implement In-Memory Tables.
- Implement Managed Code in SQL Server.
- Store and Query XML Data.
- Work with Spatial Data.
- Store and Query Blobs and Text Documents.
Before attending this course, students must have:
- Basic knowledge of the Microsoft Windows operating system and its core functionality.
- Working knowledge of Transact-SQL.
- Working knowledge of relational databases.
- Module 1: Introduction to Database Development
This module is used to introduce the entire SQL Server platform and its major tools. It will cover editions, versions, basics of network listeners, and concepts of services and service accounts.
- Module 2: Designing and Implementing Tables
This modules describes the design and implementation of tables, Data Types, Working with Schemas, Creating and Altering Tables.
- Module 3: Advanced Table Designs
This module describes more advanced table designs, Partitioning and Compressing Data, Temporal Tables.
- Module 4: Ensuring Data Integrity through Constraints
This module describes the design and implementation of constraints. Enforcing data Integrity, Implementing Domain Integrity, Implementing Entity and Referential Integrity.
- Module 5: Introduction to Indexes
This module describes the concept of an index and discusses selectivity, density and statistics. It covers appropriate data type choices and choices around composite index structures.
- Module 6: Designing Optimized Index Strategies
This module includes covering indexes and the INCLUDE clause, hints, padding / fillfactor, statistics. It also execution plans and the DTE Lessons.
- Module 7: Columnstore Indexea
This module introduces Columnstore indexes.
- Module 8: Designing and Implementing Views
This module describes the design, implementation and performance considerations of views.
- Module 9: Designing and Implementing Stored Procedures
This module describes the design and implementation of stored procedures, Parameterized Stored Procedures, and Controlling Execution Context.
- Module 10: Designing and Implementing User-Defined Functions
This module describes the design and implementation of functions, both scalar and table-valued. (Also discusses where they can lead to performance issues).
- Module 11: Responding to Data Manipulation via Triggers
This module describes the design and implementation of triggers.
- Module 12: Using In-Memory Tables
This module covers the creation of in-memory tables and native stored procedures. Furthermore, advantages of in-memory tables are discussed, for example the removal of transaction blocking.
- Module 13: Implementing Managed Code in SQL Server
This module describes the implementation of and target use-cases for SQL CLR integration.
- Module 14: Storing and Querying XML Data in SQL Server
This module covers the XML data type, schema collections, typed and un-typed columns and appropriate use cases for XML in SQL Server.
- Module 15: Working with SQL Server Spatial Data
This module describes spatial data and how this data can be implemented within SQL Server.
- Module 16: Storing and Querying Blobs and Text Documents in SQL Server
This module covers full text indexes and queries.