Course 10989: Analyzing Data with Power BI
Duration: 90-days online access
ILT Classroom: 2 days
Audience: Data Professionals
About this course
This course provides students with the knowledge and skills analyze data with Power BI.
The primary audience for this course is BI professionals who need to analyze data utilizing Power BI. The secondary audiences for this course are technically proficient business users.
At course completion
After completing this course, students will be able to:
- Describe key features of a self-service BI solution
- Describe Power BI and its data sources
- Model, shape, and combine data
- Describe Power BI data visualizations
This course requires that you meet the following prerequisites:
- Basic knowledge of the Microsoft Windows operating system and its core functionality.
- Basic knowledge of data warehouse schema topology (including star and snowflake schemas).
- Some exposure to basic programming concepts (such as looping and branching).
- An awareness of key business priorities such as revenue, profitability, and financial accounting is desirable.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office applications – particularly Excel.
These prerequisites can be achieved by attending courses
- 20761 – Querying Data with Transact-SQL
- 20767 - Implementing a SQL Server Data Warehouse
- Module 1: Introduction to Self-Service BI Solutions
In this module students will be introduced to the key concepts in business intelligence, data analysis, and data visualization. In addition they will learn the rationale for self-service BI, considerations for using self-service BI, and how Microsoft products can be used to implement a self-service BI solution.
- Introduction to business intelligence
- Introduction to data analysis
- Introduction to data visualization
- Overview of self-service BI
- Considerations of self-service BI
- Microsoft tools for self-service BI
- Module 2: Introducing Power BI
This module introduces Power BI.
- Power BI
- The Power BI service
- Power BI mobile apps
- Module 3: Power BI Data
This module describes Power BI data sources.
- Using Excel as a Power BI data source
- Using databases as a Power BI data source
- The Power BI service
- Module 4: Shaping and Combining Data
This module describes how to shape and combine data.
- Power BI desktop queries
- Shaping data
- Combining data.
- Module 5: Modelling Data
This module describes how to model data in Power BI.
- DAX queries
- Calculations and measures
- Module 6: Interactive Data Visualizations
This module describes Power BI visualizations.
- Creating Power BI reports
- Managing a Power BI solution